Happy 2012! Can you believe it’s already 2012? Where did 2011 go?
It’s the ‘resolution’ time of year. I like my Mom’s resolutions. A few years ago, she resolved to eat more chocolate. Last year, she resolved to wait until my Dad had unlocked the doors before trying to get into the car. Gotta love it!
The #1 resolution is to lose weight. The #2 resolution is generally to get organized. And the #3 resolution usually has to do with finances. Well, #1, we’ve got you covered. This recipe is low-fat and packed with veggies. Plus, it goes very well with baked BBQ potato chips (the Kettle Brand– WAY better than the Lays potato crisps).
Here’s to a happy and HEALTHY 2012!! 😉
Spicy BBQ Turkey Joes
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oz. mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I used Bullseye Original)
- 1/2 cup ketchup (HEINZ all the way!)
- 1 tsp adobo sauce or hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 hard rolls, hollowed out
- Brown turkey in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. After about 7 minutes, drain the liquid off and return the meat to the pan. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes or until nicely browned. Set aside.
- Add veggies and cook about 3 minutes. The onions and/or mushrooms will reduce significantly. Add the garlic and cumin; cook another minute.
- Add the turkey back to the veggies, then stir in the BBQ sauce, ketchup, adobo or hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring often, until heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Spoon mixture into hollowed out roll (makes it a bit less messy) and serve with your favorite baked chips!