Need something hearty? Something healthy? Somethings deliciously cheesy? Wish granted!
Sausage Primavera Grinders
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb red potatoes, boiled for 10 minutes, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper and 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 16 oz. marinara sauce
- 6 Italian sandwich rolls, sliced in half and lightly toasted
- 6 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- Lightly spray a large nonstick skillet with oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and sausage. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until browned and crispy. Potatoes should be tender. Remove from pan.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, and peppers. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp. Add potatoes and sausage back to pan. Keep warm.
- Use the back of a spoon to gently press down the bread to create a dip in each side of the bun. This helps so not as much of the filling will fall out when you eat it.
- Place about 1 cup of the sausage mixture in each bun. Spoon about 1/4 cup of marinara on top. Lay two pieces of cheese on top of the other side of the bun.
- Broil until cheese is melted. Put the sandwich together. Dip in additional marinara if desired.
Leftover sausage mixture also makes a great soup! Put it in a pot with a can or two of diced tomatoes and season to taste. YUM !