In this week’s Bountiful Basket, there were fresh green beans. I LOVE fresh green beans! I like them in salads, eaten raw, or steamed with a little butter. Grilled with olive oil and garlic? Sign me up! What could make it better? Bacon. But I didn’t have bacon. I had bacon’s Italian cousin, prosciutto.
Hope you like this recipe!
Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt
- 4 slices prosciutto or bacon, chopped
- 1 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring often, until onion is browned and sweet.
- Add the chopped prosciutto or bacon and cook, stirring often, until fat renders and the meat is crispy.
- Place beans on top of the onion mixture and quickly pour in the water. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, then clamp on the lid and steam until beans are tender, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!