Sometimes, I don’t want to cook. I know, SHOCKING! But there are those days that you really need to go to the store, but just don’t WANT to. Or that you have things on hand that you could cook, but they’re still frozen.
Luckily, on this particular evening, we still had some things left over from making pizza and sandwiches earlier in the week. I wasn’t in the mood to make a crust from scratch, so I used the next best thing. Bread.
I am not a big fan of thick crust pizza. I like my crust to be crispy and crunchy. When I take a bite of pizza, I want to taste all the wonderful toppings, not a hunk of too soft dough. These french rolls were the perfect solution. They were slightly stale and dried out, which meant that they really crisped up in the oven. Hooray! Happy Josie!
I did a little trick with the Pepperoni. My husband sometimes complains that his pepperoni pizza is too oily. To solve that problem, I put pepperoni slices in a paper towel and cooked it for 30 seconds. A lot of the oil soaked into the paper towel and his pizza was less oily. Happy T!
I hope you enjoy this quick weeknight recipe. What do you cook on busy nights?
French Roll Pizza
- 2 French Rolls, split
- 4 Tbsp tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 large mushroom, sliced thin
- 6 black olives, sliced thin
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, sliced into strips (fits better on the roll that way)
- 8 slices pepperoni
- Place pepperoni on half of a clean paper towel. Fold paper towel over the pepperoni, and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place rolls on the sheet, cut side up.
- Spread 1 Tbsp tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce on each roll half. Layer with meats, mushrooms, and olives. Divide cheese evenly over the top of each roll.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve.