The raspberries are on! Fresh, sweet, and juicy. Yum! My grandmother picked a large bowl full and brought it over to my mother’s house while we were visiting. We had a family dinner that night, and wanted the dessert to include those wonderful raspberries. We wanted something simple, but didn’t have enough angel food cake to serve everyone. The solution? A peek in the pantry and freezer helped us create the perfect summer dessert for a crowd!
Summer Berry Trifle
- 1 large package (5.1 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 container French Vanilla Cool Whip
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 Angel Food Bar Cake (about 10 oz.), cut into 1″ chunks
- Mini Nilla Wafers, about a cup
- Make the creamy filling. Combine the vanilla pudding mix with cold milk and vanilla. Mix well, and let stand for about 5 minutes. Fold in the French Vanilla Cool Whip. Spoon into a zip top bag and set aside.
- Layer the bottom of a straight-sided bowl (sometimes called a trifle bowl) with mini Nilla Wafers. Snip the tip of the ziptop bag so the opening is about half an inch wide. Carefully spread 1/3 of the mixture over the Nilla Wafers.
- Layer 1/3 of the berries on top of the creamy layer, then top with 1/2 of the Angel Food cake. Repeat layers: creamy, angel food, berries.
- Slather on the last of the creamy pudding, and top with the last of the berries. Chill about 2 to 3 hours. Serve with a big spoon!