Have a pen or printer handy? Are you ready? You’re going to want to write this one down. When it’s hot outside or you just feel like its time to eat some tasty vegetables, this is going to be one of the recipes you’ll want to have on hand. The dressing for this salad is AH-MAZING! I got the recipe from my Mom. She likes to use this dressing to make poppy seed cole-slaw or to use with a mixture of spinach, romaine lettuce, red cabbage, cashews, and craisins.
The local veggie stand had beautiful heads of fresh cabbage, carrots, and cucumbers. All veggies that go great with grilled chicken, right? Right!
This dressing will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Just be sure to leave it at room temp for about 10 minutes and shake well before using.
If you are concerned about your sugar intake, just replace half the sugar with Splenda or another sugar substitute. Don’t replace all the sugar– it won’t taste right.
Enjoy your veggies!!
Poppy seed Chicken Salad
POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vinegar (I used half apple cider and half raspberry)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup salad oil (I used half canola and half olive oil)
- Place sugar, salt, vinegar, poppy seeds, dried mustard, and chopped onion in a blender. Process until smooth.
- With the blender running, slowly pour the oil through the hole in the top. Blend until the oil is completely emulsified.
- Use immediately or pour into a clean jar and store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature and shake well before pouring onto greens.
POPPY SEED CHICKEN SALAD:
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 small head green cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 3 large carrots, sliced thin (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 large English cucumber, peeled and sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb grilled chicken, chopped
- 1 recipe Poppy Seed Dressing (above)
Toss the vegetables with the chicken (can be done a few hours ahead- just cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready). Just before serving, toss with the dressing. Enjoy!
THANKS, MOM! 😀