I’ll admit it. I have a soft spot in my heart for enchiladas. I love them! Red sauce or green sauce, they’re always good. I prefer corn tortillas to flour. But sometimes, you just don’t have time to assemble them and wait for them to cook in an oven. Sometimes, you just gotta get dinner DONE.
That’s why this soup is AWESOME. It has all the great flavor of chicken enchiladas, with less work and a lot less time. Give it a try for Cinco De Mayo this year. You can also substitute green enchilada sauce for the red. Yum!
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles (14.5 oz.)
- 1 can red enchilada sauce (15 oz., use the spice level you want)
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 lb shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced olives (optional)
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, water or broth, cumin, chicken and olives (if using). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
Happy Cinco De Mayo!