I have a new baked-potato shortcut! It’s a good one, too. I preheat the oven, then microwave my spuds (clean and pierced with a fork), two at a time, for 5 minutes. Then I oil and salt them, and toss them in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Potatoes done in half the time! Yay!
That means now you have extra time to make those bakers a little more special, right? I’m not as fancy as some. I’m not willing to bust out the large frosting tips to make pretty designs with the mashed spuds. That’ s just too many dishes. And I HATE doing dishes. Seriously. A dishwasher saved our marriage. Just ask my hubby. It’s true!
Well, this recipe does create one more bowl. But it will be so good, that one little bowl won’t matter much. As long as you rinse it immediately and don’t let it get all crusty and dried out. YOU KNOW who I’m talking to. Ahem.
Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes
Serves: 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side dish
- 2 large Russet potatoes, scrubbed well
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Pierce potatoes with a fork, and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Spray or drizzle the potatoes with oil and rub it in. Be careful! The potatoes will be HOT out of the microwave. Sprinkle on all sides with sea salt. Baked in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to scoop out the fluffy potato flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch in the skin. Place the skins, cut side up, on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Combine potato flesh with butter, sour cream, and half the cheese. Mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mashed potato mixture between the 4 potato skins, mounding slightly. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 7-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly toasted.