Is it unusually hot where you are? It sure is here! We’ve been in the triple digits for a week now. Plus, we actually have some humidity- another unusual thing for us.
Earlier in the week, my husband broke the air conditioner. I’m blaming it on him because I planned BLT’s for dinner specifically so we wouldn’t have to turn on the oven. As soon as I turn my back, he’s preheating the oven for french fries. (Ore-Ida french fries, of course!) I asked him what he was thinking, and he told me to calm down because we have air conditioning. Well, the next night, the A/C decided to take a break. Thankfully, it was an easy fix. Whew!
When it’s this hot outside, I just can’t turn on the oven. I just can’t! I rely on my slowcooker, electric pressure cooker, and grill if I HAVE to cook anything. We had some steaks and potatoes that needed to get used up, and there’s nothing like a fluffy baked potato to go with your steak. But in this heat? I had to get creative!
I pre-cooked the potatoes in the microwave, 2 at a time, for 5 minutes. Then I coated them with oil and salt. Next, I put them over a low flame for a few minutes while I got the steaks and salad ready, then turned them over and cranked up the heat to cook the steaks. They came out perfectly!
So, just because its summer and 100+°F outside, that doesn’t mean you can’t make a decent baked potato. 😀
“Baked” Potatoes on the Grill
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed well and poked with a fork
- olive oil spray
- sea salt or kosher salt
- Preheat grill over low heat. Two at a time, place potatoes on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Place on the upper grill rack and let cook for 10-15 minutes while you get your other grill items ready.
- Kick up the heat to the temp that is needed to cook the rest of your food, turn the spuds over with tongs, and continue cooking on the upper rack for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from grill and let stand about 5 minutes. Cut open and top with your favorite potato toppings!