I’ve been on an ice cream kick lately. Can you tell? It’s just so easy with our countertop ice cream maker. And it’s 100°F outside. When its that hot, it’s perfectly acceptable to eat ice cream for dinner. Right? RIGHT!
One of my favorite ice creams is Cherry Garcia by Ben & Jerry. Well, I had half and half in the fridge, fresh cherries on the counter that needed to get used up, and some premium Valrhona chocolate (70% Cocoa) in the freezer. Time for some homemade Cherry Garcia!
Again, this ice cream is very easy. I only made about a pint because my hubby is a no-mix-ins, plain-Jane kind of ice cream guy. He got vanilla (which was exactly the same recipe, just without the cherries and chocolate mixed in).
Hope you are finding great ways to cope with the heat this summer!
Homemade Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
- 1 pint half and half (or 1 cup whole milk and 1 cup heavy whipping cream)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- small box (3 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pitted and chopped fresh cherries
- 3 oz. chopped quality chocolate
- Mix the half and half and sugar until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add the pudding and vanilla extract and mix with a whisk until smooth, another 3 minutes.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and churn about 10 minutes.
- Add cherries and chocolate. Continue to churn another 10 minutes, or until the ice cream reaches soft-serve consistency.
- Transfer into a freezer safe container, and freeze at least 4 hours, or until firm enough to easily scoop.