Maybe these should be called “Manly Green Beans”. You know, because they have bacon. And Mushrooms. And that’s manly food, right? Because somehow, somewhere, SOMEONE decided lady food should be all pretty and dainty and non-messy. So glad I don’t have to limit my diet to tea sandwiches and tiny little fruits on skewers. Sure, those things are good once in a while, but they’re not Bacon Mushroom Green Beans good.
I got the idea for these from a certain BBQ restaurant. I like their green beans, which had bits of bacon and a little onion in them, but they were always swimming in broth. I prefer my veggies not to swim unless they are in soup. 🙂
I devoured these beans. This recipe makes a lot– I ate them all week! And I took the container to work so I wouldn’t have to share. Shhh!
Bacon Mushroom Green Beans
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 16 oz. bag frozen steam-in-the-bag Green Beans
- 8 oz. Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 shallot, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- In a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and place on a plate lined with paper towels to cool. Set aside.
- Place green beans in microwave and cook according to package directions. I think mine took about 5 minutes.
- Pour out all but 1 Tbsp bacon grease from the skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add the shallot and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are soft and cooked through.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet and cook to reduce by half, about 3 minutes.
- Drain green beans (if needed), then add to skillet. Stir well to mix mushrooms and shallots with green beans. Crumble bacon on top.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed.
Try not to eat the whole pan by yourself. Unless you’re really hungry. Or it’s Monday. 😉