One of my very favorite things is going to a bagel shop and ordering a sesame bagel with veggie cream cheese. The veggie cream cheese tastes different from the stuff in the dairy section at the store. It tastes BETTER!
I didn’t feel like driving to the nearest bagel shop- its over half an hour away. So, I decided to make my own. It was pretty easy! Plus, it can be customized to fit your tastes. Don’t like red bell peppers? Leave them out! Addicted to kale? Throw some in there! Whatever floats your boat!
And when you’re done making this cream cheese, you can slather it on toast, toasted bagels, crackers, celery sticks, etc. YUM! And the breakfast BLTs made with this stuff are AWESOME! I use this cream cheese instead of mayo, then pile the bacon, lettuce and tomato on my toasted bagel.
I couldn’t find sesame bagels at the store that would work with my ‘lower carbs’ diet, but I did find the Thomas Bagel Thins in the Everything flavor. They’re pretty good- especially with freshly made veggie cream cheese.
Seriously- go make some!!
Veggie Cream Cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced scallion
- 2 Tbsp minced celery
- 3 Tbsp minced carrots
- 2 Tbsp minced red bell pepper
- Bring cream cheese to room temp. Whip slightly in a medium sized bowl.
- Add garlic and veggies. Stir well.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours to let the flavors ‘meld’ before using.
- Keep in fridge- should last a week or two in a tight lidded container. Enjoy!!