Once in a while, you just have to make one of those really weird things that you ate growing up. This is one of those things. Sleep deprivation messes with your mind. It makes you dream up weird stuff using the leftovers in the fridge. The leftovers used in this recipe were hot dogs (why are there always more dogs than buns?), mashed potatoes from the previous night’s potroast dinner, and cheese left over from taco night.
This dish might just surprise you. It’s stinkin’ easy to throw together, and tastes great! Salty, creamy, and savory. Yum!
My mom worked full time an hour away from home growing up. By the time she got home, it was time to throw dinner together, eat, and get ready for bed. She needed things that were easy, but that the kiddos would eat. I think we just liked saying “Weenie”. Hee hee.
What kinds of weird recipes did your mom feed you?
- Hot Dogs, boiled and hot (I like the all-beef kind)
- Mashed potatoes, about 1/4c per hot dog
- Cheddar Cheese, a thin slice, one per hot dog
- Preheat broiler.
- Slice each hotdog lengthwise, but not all the way through. Place it cut side-down on a greased cookie sheet.
- Mound heated mashed potatoes on top. This is where your playing with play-dough skills really shine.
- Top each mashed potato mound with cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 1 minute. Really, it depends on your broiler and how far from the heat source the pan is. Just keep and eye on it because burnt weenie boats are not good weenie boats.